Thursday, July 05, 2007

Home Stretch

Well, I'm in the home stretch on Deception, the adult mystery/pseudo-suspense I've been writing for the last 2 1/2 months. I've got 10,000 words to go before I hit my 90k goal. I fell short on my TT draft; hit 52k when I was going for 60k. This one, I'll surpass. There's still too much wide open to wrap up in such a small number of words and I'm by no means interested in rushing through.

Exceeding my goal will mean I don't feel so bad cutting the crap out of it when I start revising. Which I'm absolutely going to need to do, because this book has been doing its own thing from somewhere around the 40k mark. Just went off on its own, weaving its own story and leaving me to try to figure it all out along with my characters.

I think I'm just about there. Miracle of miracles.

I've started writing an urban fantasy. Done a lot of planning and I've gone a few thousand words in on the story itself. That'll be my next project and I think it'll be a fun one. It's my first real exercise in worldbuilding and its really going to make me stretch my creative muscles. Also, my research abilities. I need to hit the library; I need to expand my reading repertoire into books about vampires and werewolves. I blame Rowling's lovely Remus Lupin for my sudden interest in such creatures. I also need to read up on the rest of the genre, especially UF-style detective stories/mysteries.

But, before I pick up on writing that again, I'm going to set aside some time for revision. I'm nowhere in revising the Taggert Twins book and I'm going to have to start revising Deception. The good thing is that I've got all the big plot problems that arose in writing TT resolved, I think; I just need to put them into the book now. That's going to require quite a bit of rewriting, I think, but the book will be so much better for it. I'm quite excited, actually.

And I know the title Deception sucks. It's only a working title until I can devote the hours necessary to figure out a decent title. Because I'm firmly convinced that titles are evil incarnate and put on this earth to drive me to drink. Excessively.

No comments: